We hope that you enjoy your time with us. Here is some information that you will find helpful for you and your child. If you have any questions, please ask!
Our Isshin-Ryu karate program, aligned under Sensei Arcenio J. Advincula, is based upon a 10 kyu (rank) system. Students at Dragon Dojo will take four or more years to achieve sufficient proficiency in the curriculum in order to test for Sho Dan (black belt). Belt gradings are an additional cost of $20 each.
Little Ninjas do not grade or spar, as this is an introductory program. A gi is not required; however students are encouraged to get one.
First Aid and Safety:
Sensei Sheila holds a first aid certificate and we carry appropriately stocked first aid kits. All black belts undergo regular police records checks and parents are encouraged to stay and watch class.
Students are taught the kihon, or punching and kicking basics first, then move onto kata, first empty hand and then traditional weapons kata.
Karate is based upon respect for oneself and others around us, therefore we request that you let us know if your child will be absent, or have any issues.
- All black belts are to be addressed as “Sensei.”
- There are to be no shoes worn on the floor at any time.
- No gum chewing.
- No horseplay on the floor.
- There is a no tolerance policy for abusive use of karate techniques when not in a self-defence situation. This includes home and school.
Classes run from Sept – May/June and are clumped in three sessions: fall, winter and spring. Session fees are due within the first two weeks of class. Be sure to keep your receipt – you may use the fees towards an income tax credit.
Equipment & Gear:
- Gi’s are mandatory for the Dragon Kidz class. They should be clean and neatly hemmed (if necessary).
- A Megami (Isshin-Ryu crest) is mandatory before yellow belt grading.
- WKF approved hand gear and a mouth guard are mandatory for sparring.
- Groin protectors are mandatory for all boys who wish to spar. No exceptions.
- Water bottles are recommended.
Gi’s, Megami’s and sparring equipment may be ordered through us. We normally do a few orders at the beginning of each session as we ship the equipment in from Vancouver.